Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pushing the sketch


Here is a quick sketch I did, based on your sketch. It's a scan of a rough pencil drawing (top). I changed the camera point of view so that we were not looking at the foreshortened character . I chose this composition above so that I am showing the audience exactly what I want them to see: A guy intimidated by the germs on his diner table items (plate glass, fork knife, ketchup), with another person behind him reacting to the scene.  I moved my camera up and more 3/4 so that you could clearly see everything that is going on. I manipulated the original sketch a bit in photoshop to pushed the attitude of the main character in the Hazmat suit. For example, when I say push the attitude of the character, this is what I mean: By having him in 3/4, leaning away from the germs in sketch 2, he feels more "freaked out." The germs are leaning toward the guy in the Hazmat suit so they appear more intimidating. There is a person sitting behind the main Character with the attitude of "what's the matter with THAT guy??"  I added a bit of tone to indicate light source. The idea is to focus the viewer's eye on the main character's face and eyes, and on the table top with all of the germs with lighting. This is just one approach of many. You can change the camera POV, the setting, even the attitude of these characters can be pushed even further. Are the germs tiny and intimidating or are they larger? As far as style, you can treat more cartoony or more realistic.

Have fun with this. I look forward to seeing your final result!

No comments:

Post a Comment